I have just finished reading The Infinite Atonement by Tad R. Callister, a Seventy. I was confused when many and various people seem to use the Atonement as a magic wand, saying that it would cover or fix just about anything. My basic concept of the Atonement was that it saved us all from death and our sins could be redeemed if we repented and kept the commandments. So I read the book to try and get a better perspective and to try to understand why people said the Atonement will "cover that." Elder Callister summarized the Atonement as resurrection, redemption and exaltation---after all we can do, which reinforced my concept. The conclusion that I came to was that when others say the Atonement will "cover that", they are failing to add, "after all we can do."
This is a well written book with deep perspective but if you read it be aware of the "Perhaps", Maybes, Could Haves" etc. Grammy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment